I finally started the lampshade makeover portion of my bargain bedside lamps. I prepared my work space **cough** coffee table **cough**, grabbed myself a drink, glue gun, glue sticks and a movie. Having read other blogs I knew that a marathon of folding and gluing was about to ensue. Well this little lady didn't really think this through. I only bought a 100-pack of coffee filters. Needless to say I didn't get very far. I got through about 1/3 of one lampshade in about an hour. Even though I was a little disappointed that I didn't finish it up today, I know myself and I'm pretty sure that I have crafting ADD. I get bored of a project very easily. This way I was excited enough to finish up the pack in one sitting and still feel like I want to continue.
My progress after an hour...
The lampshade lit up at night
Close up of the ruffles
Excuse my messy bedside table
So far I am in love! I think it goes perfectly with my Audrey Hepburn canvas print. I can't wait to see what it will look like lampshade finished and base spray painted silver.
I stumbled upon two bedside lamps a few weeks ago at a local thrift store.When I laid my eyes on them all I could see was how much potential they had and for only $11 for both I knew I couldn't pass this up. The body is a beautiful ceramic in teal, but the lamp shades have seen better days. The bottom hardware is an unfortunate gold colour. My plan is to paint the gold parts silver and to finish both lamp shades with coffee filter florets like the inspiration picture I have added. I can't wait to get both lamps done!
Thrift store find
Another piece of good news is that I finally found the spray paint colour I have been looking for to paint the mirror frame. I had a 50% off one regular item coupon for Michaels so I made my way over there today. I found the perfect shade of robin's egg blue for only $5.50. More to come later!
During another one of my internet crawls I stumbled upon Chelsea's nail tutorials on her Youtube channel Getnailedd. I especially loved her Ikat pattern nail manicure. Of course I had to give this manicure a try. I did the best I could as I don't have the striping nail polish brush so I used regular nail polish brush.
a look at my attempt:
I hope you like it! If you want more inspiration be sure to follow Chelsea's blog.
Last week I was surfing the net and stumbled upon Jay Mohler's amazing Ojo de Dios art. I couldn't stop looking at it and kept going through the pictures in his Etsy shop. Then I found this gem, a general instruction guide to how Mohler makes his stunning pieces. Of course after having discovered these instructions I had no choice but to give it a try. I bought two dowels and cut them in half so that I had eight rods in total. Then I went through the stash of acrylic yarn I already had in my possession. The rest, as they say, is history. I love the way it turned out.
The whole piece took me about three days to complete and a lot of yarn. I had to unwind a few times because I was unhappy with the way it was looking but in the end it was worth the extra work. Maybe later on I will add the embroidering that Mohler adds to his pieces but for now I will call mine done.
So it turns out that the colours that I am looking for to paint the gold frame around the mirror are impossible to find! I went to my local home hardware store and there I was told that spray painting was my best bet since there are so many grooves in the frame. I have looked high and low and I can't find the right shades of either yellow or blue. I have hung the mirror up in the hallway and it looks good but I am not enjoying the gold frame. I guess I'll just keep looking and hopefully I will stumble upon my colour in the most unexpected place.
On a different note, I was commissioned to make a wallet with and arm band. I have been trying to design a pattern today. I have already chosen the fabric and notions to give it the "hippie" look that was requested. Wish me luck!