Monday, June 4, 2012

Neon Yellow Manicure Fail

I'm sure you are all aware of the recent caviar manicure craze...I mean "fish egg" manicure. My deepest apologies Ciate, what was I thinking using the word "caviar". Anyway, I actually did give this manicure a try going the DIY route. Although the look is very cool and three dimensional, feeling the bumpy beads on my nails just made me want to pick them off or bite them off. Not cute. Although I know that squishing tiny beads to my nails is not for me, now I just want to start sticking everything on my nails. Well last week I was at the dollar store and stumbled upon a package of what looks like coloured sand. Of course the first thing I thought of was sticking the tiny sand on my nails.
Coloured sand to the right. Ignore all but the yellow nail polish
I picked up a package of the neon coloured sand and a pack of paint brushes because it came with one thin brush, perfect for striping. I had all these pictures in my head of how amazing it was going to turn out. I did one coat of 'Suzi Skis in the Pyrenees Suede' from OPI and then used yellow from hoof (pictured above) to draw on the designs. Before the yellow nail polish would dry I would sprinkle some of the neon yellow sand on the wet nail polish and then dust off the excess. Sadly, it took me a long time to achieve results that were mediocre at best. Take a look for yourself:

Notice how fuzzy it looks
Obviously I hadn't added enough tiny sand, so I tried again on the right hand nails...


Notice the "sandpapery" texture of my ring finger. Needless to say that this time things did not work out as planned. Is this going to stop me from doing more manicures that require embedding tiny sand on my nails, heck no! 

So not every DIY turns out, but whose looking? 

Until next time, 


2 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad.. my sister tried one (forgive me I forgot what it was called) and it was a total miss! LOL Plus, she didn't have the patience for it. Did you put a clear overcoat on your nails? That might've toned down the sandy texture..

    I ordered this handmade nailpolish off of Etsy.. which should arrive today. It has glittery goodness in it and I'm curious to see how it turns out! Maybe I'll post something about it on my makeup websites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember now! It was the "ombre" nails.

    ReplyDelete